Book Review: Victoria by Daisy Goodwin

2:57 PM


Title: Victoria
Author: Daisy Goodwin
Year: 2016
Pages: 404
Dates Read: March 15-20, 2017
Format: Kindle (and Audible)
Genres: historical fiction, history, romance
Rating: 4/5

Summary: A coming-of-age story focusing on Queen Victoria's beginning as one of the longest-ruling monarchs of Great Britain. 

Favorite Quote: "How was it possible that her body should react so violently to someone she found so difficult?"



Review: Having seen the television series prior to my reading, I already knew what to expect going into this novel.  Both versions line up pretty much exactly the same, which I didn't mind because I enjoyed the show.  The show does go further into the story, however.  I don't know if that's because of the format or the timing of the writing.  I would have preferred it if the book had gone more into the story, as well.  The series is set to have another season, but I do not know if there will be another book.  Because the two versions match up so well, I think this story is accessible to more people--some people will prefer to watch, while others may want to read instead.  Of course, some might want to do both, like me.

I know a lot of people like to pair Victoria with Lord Melbourne; however, knowing the history, it was hard for me to see it.  I found myself waiting for Albert to show up constantly throughout the novel.  Once his and Victoria's romance finally started to bloom, it felt a bit short.  This is one distinct place where to show goes into more detail, and I wish it were reflected in the book.  The book only goes up to the proposal, whereas the show goes beyond it.

I generally prefer to read the book first, but that didn't happen this time.  One thing I do like about seeing the series first is that I can picture the actors as the characters.  Luckily, Jenna Coleman, Tom Hughes, and Rufus Sewell played their roles excellently, and that become even more apparent after reading their characters in the novel.

The writing is wonderful.  Some books are written to be devoured, and this is certainly one of them.  Whether I was reading or listening (Anna Wilson-Jones's narration is one of the best I've ever heard--I highly recommend listening to the audio version of this novel), the story just seemed to fly by.  It's a comfortable and enjoyable read, and one that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

You can find this in print at The Book Depository, on the Kindle at Amazon, and on Audible.
You can read more about it and find similar books on Goodreads.


You Might Also Like

0 comments